Admission is granted jointly by the Graduate School and the Department of Germanic and Slavic program. All applications are processed online through the Graduate School. Application fee information is available at http://gradsch.psu.edu/prospective/apply.html.
You may complete your application at: http://gradsch.psu.edu/portal/.
To apply, please complete the online application and submit the materials requested below:
- A statement of purpose uploaded in your online application
- A sample of scholarly writing uploaded in your online application.
- Three letters of reference submitted online by your recommenders. Enter the requested information about your recommenders in the online application. Each recommender will then be contacted by Penn State with instructions for uploading a letter of reference.
- Official test scores:
- GRE scores if you have a degree from an institution where the language of instruction is English. Request that official GRE scores be submitted to Penn State (Penn State’s school code is 2660).
- TOEFL scores if you do not have a degree from an institution where the language of instruction is English. Request that official TOEFL scores be submitted to Penn State (Penn State’s school code is 2660).
- Official transcripts uploaded in your online application.
Application deadline: Though we admit students on a rolling basis, for full funding consideration applications should be complete by January 15. Those who apply early have the best opportunity for support.